Irish Potato Candy – Adults Only Version
These sweet coconut candies covered in cinnamon are delicious any time of year, not just St. Patrick’s Day! Although they’re called Irish Potatoes, most recipes don’t have potatoes, just confectioners sugar and cream cheese! This recipe is an adults only version of Irish Potatoes with the addition of coconut rum!
The most famous candy company that makes Irish Potatoes is Oh Ryan’s, based in Pennsylvania. Oh Ryan’s produces and sells 97,000 pounds of Irish Potatoes in just the first three months of each year.
Below you’ll find the recipe for Irish Potato candies; however, if you don’t feel like making them yourself, you can buy them online by clicking here.
Potato Candy Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 lb confectioners sugar
- 1/2 stick butter, room temperature
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of Malibu coconut rum, or for the non-alcoholic version use McCormick imitation coconut flavoring.
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon light Karo syrup
- small bowl of ground cinnamon to roll candies
Irish Potato Candy Directions:
- Beat cream cheese and butter
- Add coconut rum and Karo
- Add sugar gradually and mix well till combined
- Add coconut, mix well
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shape into 1 inch balls, roll in cinnamon, place on wax paper to dry. Enjoy!
Irish Potato Candy Ingredients you can buy online:
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!