This is a quick tutorial and video on how to make giant paper flowers. These flowers make “oh wow” statements at parties, showers and more on backdrops or giant frames.
These Giant paper flowers were great for this frame for a tropical beach bridal shower picture frame and decorations.
You can make just a few of these giant paper flowers to use as decorations, or make a whole bunch to fill an entire wall to use as a photo backdrop at a party, shower or wedding. A paper flower backdrop looks especially pretty behind a dessert table.
Supplies Required for Giant Paper Flowers
- Paper: 9 sheets of 60lb 8.5″x11″ US letter size card stock. Tip: Practice making these paper flowers with regular copy paper first, instead of card stock, until you get the hang of it.
- Scrap piece of cardstock for the base.
- Hot Glue Gun
- A petal template, either draw your own or download a template online.
Watch this video to understand the steps below for making giant paper flowers:
Directions for making giant paper flowers:
- Using cardstock cut out the petals in 3 sizes, cut 6 petals of each size.
- Cut out a circle for the base using 1 sheet of paper, 6-8 inch round
- At the base of each petal, cut a 2″ slit. This will create two flaps.
- On the table in front of you, lay the petal so that the widest part is on the bottom. Roll the petal away from you, to create a curl.
- Now flip the petal back so the base with the two flaps is at the bottom. You will glue the flap so that one overlaps the other. By doing this, it will cause the petals to sit at an angle instead of laying flat. For the outer layers, you do not want your petals to angle too much, so do not overlap the flaps too much. As you move in, the petals should stand straighter, so for your medium and small petals, you want to glue the flaps so they overlap more.
- Add a little bit of glue to one flap and overlap the other. Remember: for the largest petals, you do not want to overlap the flaps too much, or the petals will stand up too straight. Do this to all 6 of the petals.
- Now, you’re going to attach all 6 large petals to form a bowl shape. Add a line of glue to the edge of one petal. Attach the next petal on. Continue adding on petals to form a bowl.
- Repeat all the steps above for the medium and small petals. You should end up with 3 petal bowls.
- Flip over the largest bowl and glue your round piece of cardstock to the bottom to act as a base.
- Now, add some glue to the bottom of the medium bowl and insert it into the large bowl.
- Next, add some glue to the smallest bowl and insert into the medium bowl.
- To make the center of the flower, take a sheet and fold it in half length-wise.cut a fringe, but make sure you cut from the side that is folded. Don’t cut all the way through; leave about a half inch gap from the edge. Roll up the fringed sheet and glue as your rolling to keep it in place. Stand it on it’s end and then you can play with it a little to smush it down; spread it out, etc. Glue in center of the smallest bowl of petals.
That’s it, you’re done!
Buy Supplies to Make Giant Paper Flowers:
This is a very versatile technique and you can make so many different flowers just by changing the petal shape, size, color, and the center.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates. Moms Treasure Chest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no added cost to you.