A Magic Dessert Ball also known as a Melting Chocolate Ball is a fun fabulous dessert presentation your guests are sure to love.
It’s a spectacular dessert for sure, with that “oh wow” factor. This Magic Chocolate Ball dessert is a hollow ball of chocolate with a sweet treat on the inside, and when hot chocolate is poured over the top it melts away or opens up like a bird’s egg, revealing the surprise center. Some Chefs put brownies, fruit and even ice cream inside the chocolate shells.
It’s easier to see than explain, here’s a video showing the making of the melting ball dessert:
And here’s a behind the scenes view:
How to make your own melting magic dessert balls:
- Clear plastic ball
- 12 oz Chocolate Candy Wafers
- Brownies, Berries, Ice Cream or another other treat you’d like to enjoy with your magic dessert ball.
Ice cream topping sauce such as caramel sauce or chocolate sauce
How to make the hollow chocolate ball:
- Melt half of the chocolate wafers in the microwave. Melt by microwaving in 30-second intervals, stirring thoroughly between each 30 seconds. Keep going until chocolate is smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate into one of the halves of the plastic ball mold, fill it about half full. Attach the other half of the mold and keep rotating the ball so that the chocolate evenly coats the entire surface of the mold. Place the mold in the freezer for 30 minutes, rotating it every few minutes to be sure it freezes evenly.
- Remove the mold from the freezer and open carefully to remove the chocolate ball.
- Next we want to make an opening in the bottom of the chocolate bowl. Warm a small bowl or cup, turn it upside down on the table, and place one side of the chocolate ball on the hot bowl. Twist the ball gently until you are able to make an opening in the chocolate ball.
- Place the chocolate ball back in the freezer while preparing the rest of the dessert.
Plating and presenting the magic dessert ball:
- On a large plate, place your brownie, berries, ice cream or whatever you choose to place under your dessert ball. Place the chocolate ball on top.
- When ready to eat, heat the caramel or chocolate ice cream sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the ball in a circular motion and watch the magic happen. Enjoy!
Buy the clear plastic balls to make chocolate ball:
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates. Moms Treasure Chest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no added cost to you.