Making paper snowflakes is a great family activity; especially on rainy or snowy days when you’re all done playing outside.
Paper Snowflakes are so easy to make, all you need to make these fun festive decorations are scissors and a sheet of paper. It’s best to use a lightweight paper to make it easier to cut through all the layers. The most important thing is to learn how to fold the paper before cutting.
Take a sheet of 8.5×11 printer paper, fold top left corner down to make a big triangle, and then cut the bottom strip off, like this:
- Fold the paper in half diagonally to make a triangle.
- Now, fold the triangle in half .
- Then, fold your triangle in thirds. You may need to adjust these folds a little, so don’t crease the paper until the folds are just right. Your folds will overlap each other.
- Cut across the bottom of your paper so it is straight.
- Draw a design on your folded paper. Cut the snowflake following the lines that you drew. You can also use a hole punch to punch holes to decorate it.
Are Snowflakes coming your way? Check your Local Weather forecast
Be snowstorm-ready: Visit weather.gov and type in your zip code or your city and state to get your local winter forecast.
How do snowflakes form?
A snowflake begins to form when an extremely cold water droplet freezes onto a pollen or dust particle in the sky. This creates an ice crystal. As the ice crystal falls to the ground, water vapor freezes onto the primary crystal, building new crystals – the six arms of the snowflake.
Why are no two snowflakes exactly alike?
Well, that’s because individual snowflakes all follow slightly different paths from the sky to the ground —and thus encounter slightly different atmospheric conditions along the way. Therefore, they all tend to look unique, resembling everything from prisms and needles to the familiar lacy pattern.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates. Moms Treasure Chest is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no added cost to you.